Photo
- - - - -

Sting Interview: Talks TNA In Ring Product, Career, Says Fans Still Want To See Sting, Hogan And Flair

Interview

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Tilton

Robert Tilton

Insider

• Administrators
  • 764 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

Sting was recently interviewed by Q101 Radio plugging the main event for TNA Slammiversary 2013. Below is a quick recap

On his legacy following the demise of WCW:
i was out for 5 years approx wcw shut down in march 2001. after at about 5 years the wrestling fans didn't forget and neither did the younger wrestlers. Even to this day, 7 years later I'm still doing it. I thank GOD for the opportunity, for the respect. The nostalgia, that's the word I'm looking for. They don't wan to say goodbye to the Ric Flairs and the Hulk Hogans. So I'm grateful for that.

On the comparison to WCW, as the underdog:
well the next step for TNA was taking the show on the road. That was the big step WCW took was taking their show on the road. We did the live Monday Nitro show in a new city every week. That's what we are doing now with TNA. I think it was important for us to do that. Just kind of builds your brand and it gives you a new look and shows the interest level of fans.

On TNA's in-ring product:
Absolutely, I can say this with confidence, This isn't me trying to fluff up something that isn't real. We have some of the best, most talented, innovative and creative wrestlers on the face of the earth. Period, Bar-none.

Biggest moment in his TNA career:
Wow, there have been a lot of them. Maybe facing Kurt Angle for the first time. Winning the title from Jeff Jarrett for the first time. Hulk Hogan coming into TNA, that was a huge event.

You can listen to the audio interview portions below.

#2 Big Lou

Big Lou

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

I do agree with Sting on this statement:

On TNA's in-ring product:
Absolutely, I can say this with confidence, This isn't me trying to fluff up something that isn't real. We have some of the best, most talented, innovative and creative wrestlers on the face of the earth. Period, Bar-none.
- Sting

I agree with the man.

Edited by Big Lou, 07 May 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#3 Jackanape

Jackanape

Mr Flibble is very cross...

• Advanced Member
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:21 PM

I wish Sting would piss off...

Oops! Something went wrong!

[#10211]

Unable to retrieve signature image dimensions, please try another image.

#4 JKahn913

JKahn913

Planet Jarrett

• Advanced Member
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

I think it'd be cool if Sting won the belt in Boston in a giant-sized surprise. AJ would get more out of BFG by facing Sting again than by defeating the Aces.

Edited by JKahn913, 07 May 2013 - 10:11 PM.

http://www.nationalr...cher-john-fund#

083242b7-53f6-46ff-b11e-04db08a81a93_zps

It's over when it's over.

#5 Big Ern

Big Ern

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:37 PM

Part of having a legacy is bringing up younger talent to take your spot when you hang up your boots for good...

If that isn't part of the plan then you didn't appreciate the ones that came before you or the ones that will take your place.
Whatcha' going to do?

#6 JKahn913

JKahn913

Planet Jarrett

• Advanced Member
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

The same DJ also interviewed Bully Ray. Bully's answer to the question of why he and Devon created the Aces and Eights: "Why not? It was time to do something different."

Mmm. Long-term booking, ay?

#7 Christian Parazuli

Christian Parazuli

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 772 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

I wish Sting would piss off...

Sting is right.

The vets in TNA have always scored bigger ratings. So have promos. hogan, flair and bischoff brought their fans with them. thing is that they forced a lot of die hard tna fans away and they failed to draw a mainstream audience.

As if things werent couldnt get any worse then they managed to swindle their way into the booking positions and dropped the ratings even further. Now the young guys just wrestle and nothing else. all of the big promos and longer storyline arcs are done by the older vets.

#8 @GaTechGrad

@GaTechGrad

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

Sort of disappointed with Sting here, only putting over the guys whose glory days were 15 to 20 years ago. I thought Sting passed the torch to AJ and Samoa Joe in 2008/2009, but I guess he decided to take it back.

tna_banner4_zps4e645d94.png

#9 JKahn913

JKahn913

Planet Jarrett

• Advanced Member
  • 1,206 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:26 AM

Sort of disappointed with Sting here, only putting over the guys whose glory days were 15 to 20 years ago. I thought Sting passed the torch to AJ and Samoa Joe in 2008/2009, but I guess he decided to take it back.

Well, he couldn't really pass it to AJ any more than he did in 2009. The direction just got changed in 2010.

Sting did spend most of last year helping Roode, though.

thanks i missed that one. doing a quick transcript of the interview now :)

Right on, right on.

Edited by JKahn913, 08 May 2013 - 12:55 AM.

#10 Robert Tilton

Robert Tilton

Insider

• Administrators
  • 764 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:31 AM

The same DJ also interviewed Bully Ray. Bully's answer to the question of why he and Devon created the Aces and Eights: "Why not? It was time to do something different."

Mmm. Long-term booking, ay?

thanks i missed that one. doing a quick transcript of the interview now :)