11258 replies to this topic

#11241 Killer Queen

Killer Queen

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 2,189 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

The AE's peak was 1998/1999 which means people can rank the era like this: Austin, Rock, McMahon, Taker and Mankind/Dude Love/ Cactus Jack can easily be put ahead of HHH on a list of Attitude era stars. You might be able to throw Kane in as well.

Actually, ratings & popularity wise, it was 99-00. Putting Kane over HHH during that period is a joke, and McMahon is not a wrestler, this discussion was about wrestlers. Out of the guys you named, HHH is arguably the #3 guy. If you disagree, so be it. A boat load of people however will name HHH right after Rock & Austin with Taker, and to a lesser extent, Foley being the only guys that rival him. He carried WWE on the heel side once Austin left for a whole year, a year WWE did better than Austin's run in 98. The McmHon/Helmsley era still stands as one of the most successful periods in history. Downplaying HHH's contributions to the business is typical IWC smark mentality that I want no part of

Edited by Killer Queen, 14 March 2014 - 04:19 PM.

Use your friends, and be good to your enemies; so they'll become your friends, and you can use them too

#11242 Will

Will

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 4,184 posts
  • LocationStaten Island, New York

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:53 PM

For those here with access to the wwe network, just curious as to some of the things you have watched as a way I can maybe find some underrated shows to watch.

Some of the things I have watched include: all four beyond the ring documentaries, the Raw with the black wedding, ppvs like Backlash 2000, Summerslam 1998, Canadian Stampede and top matches like the main event to the Final Four IYH ppv, Rock vs Mankind I Quit, Austin vs Hart at SS 1996 and Mankind vs HBK from Mind Games.

Edited by Will, 17 March 2014 - 08:54 PM.

TNA Would Be Nothing Without #TeamDixie

2h7qah1.png

#11243 BeerMoneyINC

BeerMoneyINC

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

For those here with access to the wwe network, just curious as to some of the things you have watched as a way I can maybe find some underrated shows to watch.

Some of the things I have watched include: all four beyond the ring documentaries, the Raw with the black wedding, ppvs like Backlash 2000, Summerslam 1998, Canadian Stampede and top matches like the main event to the Final Four IYH ppv, Rock vs Mankind I Quit, Austin vs Hart at SS 1996 and Mankind vs HBK from Mind Games.

Do they have all of the PTWs from the 80s with Gorilla and Bobby? If I could watch footage of those two going back and forth, that alone would be worth the subscription. And I'd skip through most of the matches, lol.

#11244 123321

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 2,935 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:34 AM

The problem tonight was no one came out to help Daniel Bryan where was Cena,Big Show,The Shield hell even Brie Bella could have gone after Stephanie Mcmahon right.

#11245 Omgitzjay

Omgitzjay

k.

• Moderators
  • 8,436 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

Well at least they finally built HHH as a threat this year, people were starting to think Daniel Bryan was going to win for sure and I still believe that but now a lot of people are worried because of the internet belief that HHH only ever wants to put himself over and now that he may be going in to the Triple threat instead has some people shitting their pants.

#11246 Killer Queen

Killer Queen

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:22 AM

Well at least they finally built HHH as a threat this year, people were starting to think Daniel Bryan was going to win for sure and I still believe that but now a lot of people are worried because of the internet belief that HHH only ever wants to put himself over and now that he may be going in to the Triple threat instead has some people shitting their pants.

HHH has put plenty of people over, especially at Wrestlemania.

Use your friends, and be good to your enemies; so they'll become your friends, and you can use them too

#11247 Jackanape

Jackanape

Mr Flibble is very cross...

• Advanced Member
  • 3,340 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:59 PM

I really can't stress enough how good the guys who make these promos are. Every year at 'Mania time they hit it out of the park.

Edited by Jackanape, 19 March 2014 - 03:59 PM.

Oops! Something went wrong!

[#10211]

Unable to retrieve signature image dimensions, please try another image.

#11248 FMtillidie

FMtillidie

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 112 posts
  • LocationEngland.

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

:lol:

Posted Image

#11249 Will

Will

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 4,184 posts
  • LocationStaten Island, New York

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

I really can't stress enough how good the guys who make these promos are. Every year at 'Mania time they hit it out of the park.

Agreed except they are great at what they do year round, not just in Mania season.

I'd probably watch Midcard Event or wwe Jobberstars if the entire show was video promos for upcoming matches lol

Edited by Will, 19 March 2014 - 08:10 PM.

TNA Would Be Nothing Without #TeamDixie

2h7qah1.png

#11250 Big Ern

Big Ern

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

I agree with the Queen.

After Michaels threw a shit fit and quit when Austin got the nod to be the champ full time, HHH became the lead heel.

Was he as big a star as Rock, Cena or Austin?

Well it depends on how you look at it.. he was the main guy they often competed against at most of the main PPV's.

That's a big role.. Austin and Rock were terrible heels.. people wanted to cheer for them.

HHH on the otherhand much like Flair was a terrible face (I'm speaking of Flair in his Prime). He excelled and still does in the heel role.

So yeah you can say he wasn't as big of a draw but he definitely helped in getting the faces over.

I think TNA needs to learn alot about that type of psychology. Strong heels build strong faces.  It's very untypical that it's the other way around barring the event that the face is so far over that no one cares who he wrestles.

The only faces I can truly ever say were in that position would be Hulk Hogan and Bruno Samartino.

The Rock and Austin eventually reached that level but it took some great feuds to get them there.

Edited by Big Ern, 19 March 2014 - 10:38 PM.

Whatcha' going to do?

#11251 Incognito

Incognito

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:57 AM

I agree with the Queen.

After Michaels threw a shit fit and quit when Austin got the nod to be the champ full time, HHH became the lead heel.

While people will always debate Triple H's role in the company, this point I take exception to.  Michaels last match (until his 2002 return) was at Wrestlemania 14.  Triple H didn't main event a U.S. pay per view until Summerslam...of the following year.  And that was in a triple threat match.  Undertaker was pretty much the top heel up until the Rock became a main eventer, though during that time period Foley and Kane also had main event runs with Austin.

Triple H did eventually have some runs as the top heel, but it wasn't right after Michaels left.

Edited by Incognito, 20 March 2014 - 12:58 AM.

#11252 Big Ern

Big Ern

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:00 AM

Triple H didn't main event a U.S. pay per view until Summerslam...of the following year.

Sorry I didn't mean it happened immediately.. but it most definitely did occur over time and definitely during the period when WWE soared and WCW tanked.

Whatcha' going to do?

#11253 Dan

Dan

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 316 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

As great as Michaels wise as a wrestler, he never really drew money for the company. The company peaked after both him and Bret were gone.

A fan of ESTABLISHED talent.

#11254 Minters

Minters

OMG I ARE TEN PERCENT

• Advanced Member
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

WWE blows everybody else out of the water in terms of production value.  Theyve understood the value of polish for years and have worked hard to attain it.

As great as Michaels wise as a wrestler, he never really drew money for the company. The company peaked after both him and Bret were gone.

So what?  The people still cheer their names, they still buy their merchandise and they are still remembered very fondly.  You cannot blame the advent of the attitude era, nor the Monday Night Wars on them.

#11255 Killer Queen

Killer Queen

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:57 PM

If Bret & HBK both went to WCW when Hall & Nash did, well before Mcmahon transitioned to a more edgy product, the WWE would be as good as dead, as there would be no reason to watch Raw over Nitro. Your comment is ridiculous

#11256 BeerMoneyINC

BeerMoneyINC

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:24 PM

Bret and Shawn's run in 1997 was some of the best work in Wrestling EVER! Their dynamic feud and unpredictable TV is what got people talking about the WWF again. Sure 98-01 were better years for them ratings wise, but none of it would have survived if it wasn't for them.

#11257 Omgitzjay

Omgitzjay

k.

• Moderators
  • 8,436 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:00 AM

HHH has put plenty of people over, especially at Wrestlemania.

I wasn't denying that, I said the internet belief.

#11258 Dan

Dan

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 316 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:37 AM

If Bret & HBK both went to WCW when Hall & Nash did, well before Mcmahon transitioned to a more edgy product, the WWE would be as good as dead, as there would be no reason to watch Raw over Nitro. Your comment is ridiculous

1996 was so successful with them him on topp right? HBK drew almost as badly as Nash did on top.

Edited by Dan, 21 March 2014 - 01:37 AM.

A fan of ESTABLISHED talent.

#11259 Killer Queen

Killer Queen

Insider

• Advanced Member
  • 2,189 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:04 AM

1996 was so successful with them him on topp right? HBK drew almost as badly as Nash did on top.

Flawed logic. How much better did Hogan do in WCW pre NWO?. You need to realize that wrestling as a whole was down, and it didn't matter who was pushed as the top star. Nash was so "bad" that he was co founder of a group that helped WCW take over the business. Austin wouldn't be a big star without those programs with Bret & Shawn. He has even said that openly, and it's self explanatory. WWE & WCW didn't turn things around until they completely revamped the products.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users